I have a BlackBerry 9700 that is one year and 2 months old. At the time of purchase it was the newest and fastest BlackBerry model for T-Mobile. I have the internet on it but have only used it for email and Facebook up until now. A few weeks ago I downloaded a couple apps for my own personal use, which was The Weather Channel and a screen shot app. I tried to use them as much as possible just to learn what apps were all about. Finding out more about educational apps has really been an eye opener. I have found so many applications that I would use in the classroom. And I looked at free ones and ones that cost money. I did run into some limitations using a portable device for these applications; screen size, speed and price. I have a Blackberry; the screen is about half the size of an iPhone screen. The apps are certainly viewable but the directions are very very small. The speed was also a factor, my phone is 3G and the download time seemed to take awhile. Once in the app it ran fine with no speed problems. Price for me also acted as a limitation, there were quite a few apps I wanted but I can’t afford to spend a bunch of money on apps right now. I downloaded a free one, a cheap one and a kind of high priced one.
I do not own a tablet but I have played with them before. They are awesome! And I want one really bad. I think having such a portable computer is very beneficial. They are light weight and faster than ever. I never really want to take my large laptop anywhere because I have to pack it all up and it’s a little on the heavy side. I have been able to do all the things on a tablet that I do on my laptop; I just was not able to see how downloading anything took place. Since the device wasn’t mine and I didn’t ask to see a download I don’t know how that works. I would love to use portable devices in the classroom! Not necessarily a Blackberry, but certainly tablets or even iPhone devices. You can use the devices for any subject which will enhance learning within this 21st century. Students can communicate with each other through school approved and networked social networking sites, they can learn about geography to talk to others around the world and learn about faraway places. Students could also be working together while on their own device since technology is so interconnecting.
Three apps I found, downloaded and played with this week are Flower Frenzy, Smart Educational Games, and Baby GO Flashcards. I found all three of these apps on BlackBerry App World through my device. Flower Frenzy is new and it was free. This app would be used in teaching and learning colors and patterns in the early elementary grades. There are three different levels and you have the choice of using hints or not. My daughter has gotten really wrapped up in this game. Another reason I like it is because there has to be an adult enter in a special sequence code when the child is done with the game, this way they can’t get into anything else on your phone if you are not right there. Smart Educational Games was the one I spent the most money one. It was $6.99 and I think well worth it. Any more money and I would have not purchased it. You can choose to play math, memory, puzzles, and earth. You can choose your level and it a child or adult is playing. I think the Earth game is the best because you can name states, select states, find capitals, as well as countries. Awesome geography lessons. The Baby GO Flashcards seem a little pointless, I paid $2.99 and not worth it at all. I want my money back…unless I just haven’t completely figured it out. But it seems to just be flashcard of each letter in the alphabet, along with the sound and a picture. There is a voice or it can be turned off. I found where you can modify and change the card picture name, but the picture doesn’t change and the voice still says the original word. So that was strange. I would use this with early childhood while learning the alphabet; the student would be able to sort through the digital flash cards themselves to practice the alphabet.
So far I have been using the features on my portable device for school work. Our school work, as far as finding educational apps. In my job, I have not had the opportunity to do this yet. If I am in the same reading position next school year, I would like to by the app, Learn to Read. And I would use this as a center in my reading groups. I am excited to find more apps and I am joining more RSS feeds that I have found when searching for apps. I am feeling more and more a part of the digital age every day.
A school near our district is introducing Kindles into the classroom. I think it would be a great way to increase the reading abilities of students, since they would be excitied to be using new technology. I think many times as teachers we are able to get the attention of our students when we present material aligned with the technology they use everyday. The addition of tablets into the classroom would fit this application very well. I know due to budget problems many of us will face the fact in how fast we can add new technology to the classroom, including phones as a tool in education as well. Hopefully the future will hold a brighter future for our students compared to the past couple of years.
ReplyDeleteI too know of a teacher that just recently received Kindles to use in her classroom. What an awesome technology tool to have available for students. I am also amazed at how they come up with prices for the applications. Some great applications are free then but I have also downloaded an application that cost around $3.00 and it was a horrible application. I learned my lesson and I will defiantly be doing more research before paying for another one.
ReplyDeleteI ran into the same problem with one of the apps I downloaded. Waste of money. I think I was just anxious to try some things out and that one seemed neat...but wasn't.
ReplyDeleteI didn't even think about the speed factor as a limiation but that is so true. I know that sometimes when I am at a place where there is high volume of phones being use my phone runs a lot slower and it takes me forever to do anything. I think if schools are all using the same portable device and everyone is on at one time the server may be running slower. I also agree to the prices being a little too high for apps that are not that great. That is why it is important to read the reviews. I even went online and googled ceratin apps and read reviews before I thought about paying for them.
ReplyDeleteI wonder why there doesn't seem to be as much "buzz" around BlackBerry phones anymore? It seemed like Blackberries were very popular about 5-10 years ago. I know of a couple of people who have them, and they like them. But, it seems that Android and iPhones have almost taken over the smartphone market... what do you think?
ReplyDeleteI have had a BlackBerry for about 5 years now, I got into using them when I worked at T-Mobile. I just became very familiar with them and they are user friendly to for me. However, I have been learning more towards wanting to use something else...I'm just waiting for my full upgrade since I don't get the hook up on phones anyone. I think people are moving away from BlackBerry because the Androids and iPhones just do so much more and seem to be soooo much faster. Also, I love how big some of the screens on the Andriods are and on the iPhone.
ReplyDeleteI do not have either a smart phone or a tablet at this time. I have played around with tablets and am impatient to get one. I think they will be a great addition to the classroom but I too see problems with the connectivity. We currently have a class set of netbooks and our hot spots are not so good. They take forever to load and if students are trying to print, they frequently have to send jobs 2 or 3 times before they get results. There are lots of other issues to be worked out before many districts can fully utilize the benefits of this technology.
ReplyDeleteI wish that our school would start using kindles more. I think that we have a set, but they are in such high demand that the teachers don't get to use them to their full potential. I too have been caught paying for an app before knowing exactly what it is about. That's just part of become more technology literate.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!!! I am glad that your daughter likes one or more of the apps you downloaded. When I do my testing I keep the two kids in mind. So far I have only purchased one Android app, for me, and a few iPod ones for the kids. My oldest gets a special $1-2 ones if she did something extra. We don't buy toys or junk food so the iPod apps were special to her.
ReplyDeleteThere are many apps and great to know what's available on the Blackberry. It's one that I haven't gotten a chance to play around with.