http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.pdf
Understanding the laws of copyright have always been a little hard for me. During my Undergrad, I took a test called the C-BASE in which we had to pass in order to graduate. Every session of the test the writing topic was different. My topic was on Copyright. I failed the test and had to take it again the following semester. The second time around I passed, but I couldn't even tell you what the topic was.
I have always had the understanding that copyright meant a work of something that someone created that could not be copied or used by anyone else unless the person cited the reference. Such as using a piece of music on a PowerPoint presentation. I have used music on many presentations and as long as I cite it, then it is legal for me to use it. Doing some more research on the topic today, I understand that using music is a little different then using other materials. Something else I didn't know before is that any work I am currently doing is protected by copyright because of the machine or device I am using. So I think that means anything I write on my computer or smartphone would be considered mine and no one could steal the information unless with my permission for referencing my name.
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
Fair use is to be used by anyone if for the purposes of teaching, commenting, news reporting, scholarship and research. However, you have to still check on the copyright of the specific item you are using. Fair use is also dependent on whether or not you are using it for commercial or nonprofit use. The copyright.gov website suggests that you still get the copyright authors permission just to be on the safe side before using anything. I know that in the school district I work in that they have already gone through an extensive copyright checking process to make sure whatever the district is using is legal and fair.
http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/
I have actually never heard of a creative commons license until today. I found the information I was looking for on the flickr website posted above. I feel bad because I have used and posted pictures on flickr before and never really took the time to see what the symbols meant. I have only ever used or posted pictures for educational purposes, mainly presentations for classes. Creative Commons is a non-profit alternative to full copyright.
Working for a school district I am aware of what is available for our use, either it is in our library or teacher resource library. Anything else we want to use we have to check with the district to gain permission. I would assume that could take awhile if they have to look something up that is not already in their system. I do use pictures and music for educational purposes on a daily basis. I have only worked with the younger grades where they do not quite understand this concept yet, but in the future if I ever work with older students we will have many lessons on copyright, fair use and creative commons. All are very important and used on a daily basis around the world.
Understanding the laws of copyright have always been a little hard for me. During my Undergrad, I took a test called the C-BASE in which we had to pass in order to graduate. Every session of the test the writing topic was different. My topic was on Copyright. I failed the test and had to take it again the following semester. The second time around I passed, but I couldn't even tell you what the topic was.
I have always had the understanding that copyright meant a work of something that someone created that could not be copied or used by anyone else unless the person cited the reference. Such as using a piece of music on a PowerPoint presentation. I have used music on many presentations and as long as I cite it, then it is legal for me to use it. Doing some more research on the topic today, I understand that using music is a little different then using other materials. Something else I didn't know before is that any work I am currently doing is protected by copyright because of the machine or device I am using. So I think that means anything I write on my computer or smartphone would be considered mine and no one could steal the information unless with my permission for referencing my name.
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
Fair use is to be used by anyone if for the purposes of teaching, commenting, news reporting, scholarship and research. However, you have to still check on the copyright of the specific item you are using. Fair use is also dependent on whether or not you are using it for commercial or nonprofit use. The copyright.gov website suggests that you still get the copyright authors permission just to be on the safe side before using anything. I know that in the school district I work in that they have already gone through an extensive copyright checking process to make sure whatever the district is using is legal and fair.
http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/
I have actually never heard of a creative commons license until today. I found the information I was looking for on the flickr website posted above. I feel bad because I have used and posted pictures on flickr before and never really took the time to see what the symbols meant. I have only ever used or posted pictures for educational purposes, mainly presentations for classes. Creative Commons is a non-profit alternative to full copyright.
Working for a school district I am aware of what is available for our use, either it is in our library or teacher resource library. Anything else we want to use we have to check with the district to gain permission. I would assume that could take awhile if they have to look something up that is not already in their system. I do use pictures and music for educational purposes on a daily basis. I have only worked with the younger grades where they do not quite understand this concept yet, but in the future if I ever work with older students we will have many lessons on copyright, fair use and creative commons. All are very important and used on a daily basis around the world.
It is nice to have the school district provide you with the information necessary in regards to the copyrighted materials availability. I do agree that at the age you work with copyright is still a hard concept to teach, but is extremely important for students in the older grades to begin to gain an understanding.
ReplyDelete...you daughter is adorable!
It is great that your district takes care to protect the staff from copyright violations. They are protecting themselves too. I wish more districts would take the time to help with these issues.
ReplyDeleteI have the same trouble with my school district. It gets to be a pain if I want to go use any kind of media that isn't available from the library or licensed to the school district. I understand that we are legally responsible for what we use in the classroom, but sometimes I feel like I'm being constrained from teaching because of the restrictions I'm being given. How do you get approved for media in your district?
ReplyDelete