- What is your understanding of OpenSource?
- What differences did you find between OpenSource, free, and proprietary applications?
- What are OpenSource apps generally licensed under?
My understanding of OpenSource is that it is free to use and download any computer or device applications. If it were not free then it would not be in the same category or licensed by OpenSource. The licence can be used by everyone in any field. There are no restrictions. It also does not restrict the use of any other software. Also, there are no restrictions on the use of individual technology or style. So I take this as, you can use the applications on Windows computers, Apples, smartphones, etc.
I found that a group of people started calling free software, Open Source because it sounded more professional and friendly to the corporate world. This group of people wanted anyone to be able to see and use what they had created and be able to understand it for modifications and redistribution. It seems as if many groups say they have or use Open Source, but the only group that officially operates is the OpenSource Initiative. However, it is not trademarked.
OpenSource's licensing is extremely hard to understand because of the legal wording and the amount of information, says Wikipedia.com. I would have to agree with this. I was trying to read it, but even the explanation of the licence was a little difficult for me to understand. I have always been interested in technology and I thought I was advanced compared to most people, but after taking some of these grad coursed in Educational Technology, I am starting to feel far behind. I am glad to be learning about it all now though.
So what OpenSource means to me is that it is software programs that are always modifiable by people and free to people so they can continue making better programs for companies, businesses or education because all industries must continue growing and technology advances are the way to do just so.
OpenSource is a difficult item to distinguish between just "Free" software. OpenSource seems to becoming more and more utilized in education these days. I plan on using coursesites (free, but not open source) this year in my classroom, and hope to get some other teachers motivated to do the same.
ReplyDeleteI love OpenSource software. Honestly, I think that my students learn more from these sites because they are visual learners above all else. Tell them to read and they will grown for an hour, but tell them to navigate a Web Quest or anything interactive and they will gladly take two days to do the work. I have used several OS programs and can't think what I would do without them.
ReplyDeleteOpensource is always concerned with the flexibility, accessibility, the management of content etc. Its unique and very useful platform for users and designers.
ReplyDeleteOpensource Development